Have you been thinking about making a change in your kitchen? Perhaps you’re sick of your old appliances, or your flooring has seen better days. Maybe your cabinets aren’t providing sufficient storage for your family’s needs. Or perhaps you’re one of the countless homeowners who’s decided that the time is right to replace their kitchen countertops. If that’s the case, you’re in for a treat once the project has been completed. Here are some things to consider as you’re getting started:
- Consider both style and function: Buying new kitchen countertops in Northern MN can be a very exciting process, particularly if you’ve been living with ugly, damaged or otherwise less-than-ideal countertops for years. But while picking countertops offers a great opportunity to change up your style or go with something trendy, you don’t want to ignore function. Depending on the type of cooking or other activities that frequently occur in your kitchen, you need countertops that will not only look great, but will also stand up to regular use.
- Know your budget: For most homeowners, money doesn’t exactly grow on trees. While establishing a budget—and sticking to it—is maybe not the most exciting aspect of tackling a home improvement or remodeling project, it’s definitely the best move in the long run. This is as true when shopping for countertops as it is for anything else. Do some research, figure out how much you can afford to spend and determine an upper ceiling for your budget. Keep in mind, though, that if you spend too little—by snagging a “too good to be true” type of deal, for instance—you’ll likely find yourself with an inferior product, a lousy service experience or both.
- Choose your material: If you watch a lot of home improvement programs on TV, you’ve likely heard countless homeowners express a wish for granite countertops. This shouldn’t be too surprising, as granite offers a durable, attractive option that stands up to regular use. But laminate, tile, butcher block, stainless steel and a number of other materials are also very popular in kitchens. Again, when you’re thinking about the look you’re going for in your kitchen, as well as the ways in which your new countertops might be exposed to hazards, picking the right material needs to factor into the picture.
- Consider custom options: When you ask someone to describe your kitchen, you probably don’t want to hear words like “bland,” “cookie-cutter” or “plain.” One way to help your kitchen stand out is by investing in custom kitchen countertops in Northern MN. A unique look that manages to also be highly functional is the perfect combination where your countertops are concerned, and working with a company that provides custom options can help your kitchen to really stand out.
- Hire the right company: From custom design and fabrication to delivery and installation, the number of steps involved in buying new countertops is enough to make most homeowners shy away from turning this into a DIY project. The ideal countertop company will be able to provide full service, a wide range of custom options and perhaps even free estimates. Do some research ahead of time, and choose a company that seems right for your needs.
Since 2008, L & L Granite Countertops has been serving clients throughout Minnesota with first-rate granite countertop design, fabrication and installation services. Give us a call today to schedule an estimate and start envisioning your new and improved kitchen!